9 Day Fasting Campaign
Instruction Sheet and Tips for Fasting and Prayer Period from 6th to 14th November 2018
for the complete collapse of abortion plans and the conversion of all those promoting abortion.
URGENT! IMPORTANT: After further consultation and spiritual guidance, Human Life International (Ireland) are advocating a maximum of three days fasting per person during this nine day period 6th-14th November. You may off course fast one day or two days.
**Disclaimer: Human Life International (Ireland) cannot take responsibility for any adverse health/other effects through fasting. Medical check and clearance necessary before joining.
Obligatory Requirement: Anyone undertaking more than three days of fasting, must do it under experienced Spiritual Direction and ongoing Medical Supervision.
We all know that fasting is not the easiest thing to do. Our Lord did tell us that some things could not be dealt with except by prayer and fasting. Through fasting, we enter into a certain type of spiritual battle, more effective sometimes than just prayer.
The Saints have written much about the power of prayer and fasting. . So, in many ways, it is an honour to be able and willing to participate in this work of grace.
A few Hints and Notes of Caution are necessary:
- Fasting on bread and water is the most comprehensive type of fasting. It is easier than just water alone, as it gives some form of energy intake, especially for those are working. Fasting is always easier when one drinks plenty and does not get dehydrated.
- During the fast, eat plenty of fresh baked wholemeal bread, spelt bread or fresh soda throughout the day and drink lots of water. Spelt bread – if available – is an excellent bread for fasting. It does not have wheat – especially helpful for those with wheat intolerance. White toasting pan bread is not recommended, due to poor nutritional value.
- It is recommended three to four litres of water a day.
- Anyone with any sort of medical condition or on medication must consult a doctor before fasting. Do not under any account cease prescribed medication or other important medication.
- If you have never fasted before, it is recommended that you fast for no longer than twenty-four to thirty-six hours.
- Anyone who has not fasted before may need to take it gently at first. The first day may include, for example, some form of fruit or fruit juice. Indeed, anyone who feels it necessary, would be advised to take it easy at first and see what works for them.
- Above all, do what's best and safe for you. This may vary according to your health, type of work, experience of fasting before or doctors advice. It may be you feel some days that you can only fast one meal.
- Avoid caffeine (tea/coffee) a week in advance if possible, as caffeine withdrawal can cause and intensify headaches during the fast.
- If you find abstaining from tea/coffee extremely difficult, why not fast on bread with tea/coffee rather than not fast at all?
- If fasting is still extremely difficult, why not introduce fruit juices?
- Do not undertake driving long distances or heavy manual labour during a fast. Prudence important.
- Slowly remove sugar and sugary foods from your diet a few days in advance if possible, as people who consume large amounts of sugar usually find fasting difficult.
- If health, work or other circumstances mean you cannot fast, why not avoid marmalade on toast in morning or even replace one meal with bread and water?
- For those considering more than 3 days fasting, eg 6 days or 9 days, we recommend three days fasting, then the following week three more days fasting, then the following week three more days fasting. This helps enormously in relieving any potential health issues.
- At end of a fast, do not eat a large full four course meal! Instead, small amounts of easily digested food, eg porridge, is better to break a fast.
- For each day during the nine days from 6th to 14th November, we ask you to pray at least ONE Rosary for these intentions: Complete collapse of abortion plans in Ireland and for the conversion and blessing of all those promoting abortion in our land.
- Please attend Mass as many days as possible during these nine days and offer up these intentions at the Mass, especially at the Consecration.
- A thorough confession at beginning of a fast assists in the flow of grace.
- If you can, we encourage adoration as many days as possible during the nine days. Please say the Holy Michael the Archangel prayer each morning for this intention – as below.
Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in the hour of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God restrain him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast satan down into hell and with him all the evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.
It is a great privilege to be part of this work.
Don’t worry and don’t feel guilty, if you find the fasting or prayer difficult, or if you to some degree fail. We are all in service to Our Lord and He sees our heart. So, don’t get discouraged for any reason and do not hesitate to call us at any time.
Let’s do our best and leave the rest to God!
Human Life International (Ireland)